Against Gravity training log (2020)

Brothers in arms, we share our progress and face adversity side by side. Each of us is strong. All of us are stronger.
Against Gravity

Re: Against Gravity training log (2020)

Post by Against Gravity » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:10 pm

OA fingertips-assisted HS

This is the most recent addition to my training. The goal is mostly to balance forearm flexors from towel grip training with forearm extensors strength. Previously I was doing 2 sets of HS holds, but honestly, it doesn't motivate me anymore.

So I'm doing wall-assisted 5 fingers (open hand) + flat hands hold. I'll build it up to 1 minute per hand. Then, I'll try to get it freestanding, but with the wall behind me to prevent overbalancing. And then, I'd try to get it with the wall far away.

From there, the process is just to use less fingers.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 pm

And that's it. Very long, detailed update, but since I already have an online training log in excel (first page), I prefer to detail my strategies rather than the individual workouts.

*NOTE: I've used multiple posts to avoid the risk of losing what I wrote after clicking 'submit', which has happened a few times with some browsers. So make sure to check out all of them (in previous pages) rather than just my latest post in this page

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Nice! Wanna show me some of your assisted one arm handstand holds? Maybe I have some cues to help you!

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Vagabond wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 pm
Nice! Wanna show me some of your assisted one arm handstand holds? Maybe I have some cues to help you!
Yeah, I'll upload a video once I've exhausted beginner gains and start to plateau. I've done this exercise 5 times so far, so there's still some easy gains ahead. Anyway, are there any safety / general&important technique cues I should be aware of?

Also, if the forum remains active, in 2021 I'll update progress for all exercises with a video. Lets see how it goes.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am

Excellent! And in terms of safety, not so much aside from don't fall in a bad way, lol. But push tall in your supporting shoulder. Watch out for twisting, and make sure your supporting shoulder is dead over your supporting hand, and not too in or too out.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Mon May 04, 2020 10:09 am

Vagabond wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am
Excellent! And in terms of safety, not so much aside from don't fall in a bad way, lol. But push tall in your supporting shoulder. Watch out for twisting, and make sure your supporting shoulder is dead over your supporting hand, and not too in or too out.
Interesting. I'm not having any problems with falling right now though, because I'm still at the wall-assisted progression. What I've noticed is a good carryover between finger-assisted HS and standard (two-hands) handbalancing itself.

I mean: currently I'm easily holding a wall-assisted 5-finger OAHS for 30+ seconds with each hand (and increasing 1 second every workout). I'm trying to fully flex the forearm extensors not only in the opened hand (5 fingers), but also in the other hand (that remains flat on the floor), isometrically. It feels like I'm 'gripping' the floor hard with my hands - and I already notice balance improvements with the freestanding partial ROM HeSPS.

In a way, it's like this recently learned ability to 'grip the floor' through forearm extensors isometric contraction helps me to control a lot more the 'overbalancing' (falling forwards), in the same way than planche push-up strength carryovers to control underbalancing (falling backwards).

As I've said, I'll continue increasing 1 sec per session, and build it to one minute or so - then try it without touching the wall (but with the wall next to me for safety), and finally with the wall away from me. If I plateau or have problems with the process I'll record a video and upload it here - otherwise, I'd upload the 60sec freestanding 5-finger-assisted OAHS achievement once it's done.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 am

I'm sure you'll have no problem getting there with the wall! It's not a progression I've ever used, either with myself or with my students, but I like that's you're trying something different. Here's an advice tho: don't wait to have 60s one arm handstand on the wall to practice it freestanding. It's way different, and doing it against the wall might condition you if you need extra conditioning, but it's not that good for controlling the one arm handstand in and of itself. Even if you keep it short, I would advise that you do freestanding sets where you practice shifting to 5 fingers and holding it 5-10 seconds and do reps like that alternating from one arm to the other. And make sure to at least do them straight and straddle.

Personally, I built my stamina and control doing pretty much all freestanding stuff. Lots of challenges. Then when time came to practice one arms directly, 99% of what I did was freestanding (I only recall using the wall once, and I wasn't touching it. I was just really close to it because I'd touch it if I twisted, and it would tell me what way to untwist).

Otherwise, you mention safety. What are you worried about, safety wise?

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Vagabond wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 am
Here's an advice tho: don't wait to have 60s one arm handstand on the wall to practice it freestanding. It's way different, and doing it against the wall might condition you if you need extra conditioning, but it's not that good for controlling the one arm handstand in and of itself.
Right now my number one priority isn't the OAHS itself, but forearm extensors / finger strength. That's why I haven't seriously started to train it outside of the wall yet. Any extra OAHS skill I get is a bonus.
Even if you keep it short, I would advise that you do freestanding sets where you practice shifting to 5 fingers and holding it 5-10 seconds and do reps like that alternating from one arm to the other. And make sure to at least do them straight and straddle.
For curiosity's sake, why is it necessary to use a straddle position as well? I mean, what extra benefits does it offer? I guess it might help with proprioception and overall handbalancing control

Otherwise, you mention safety. What are you worried about, safety wise?
I mentioned safety because the wall-assisted version helps me to shift way more than 50% BW towards the flat hand, so fingers joints might be getting a relatively low load. However, with the wall-away (freestanding) version, since balance would be harder if I shift too much % BW towards the flat hand, I'd be forced to shift BW more equally through both hands, so fingers will be getting a higher load. So it's safety in terms of finger joints gradual adaptation to load.

Also, the wall would still be there close to my body in the freestanding version to help me quickly accumulate hold time through cluster sets - so I don't need to waste extra time reseting the position when overbalancing.
Last edited by Against Gravity on Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Well, it seems the PR tables forum' scoreboard might not be possible anytime soon (not enough people register), so I'll play the game only with myself.

I was planning to upload a long video at the end of the year with all the PRs achieved so far, but now I think it might be best to upload a short video every time I hit a PR. That way, I'll have an excuse to participate and maintain the forum slightly more active.

Here's a recent 6RM weighted pull-up PR:

All RM PRs (or PR table) will be included in the first post of this training log, for a quick reference.

Once I'm done uploading weighted pull-ups PR table, I'll start again with weighted ring dips PR table.

I won't upload bent-over rows or OHP PR tables, though, because:

- Bent over rows are highly technique-dependant. That's why it's not included in any competition. The greatest benefit of BOR comes when using legs the least (& upper back the most). However, aiming for load / reps PRs eventually leads to using legs more (& upper back less), which completely defeats the purpose of the exercise.
- OHP is still in a beginner / early intermediate phase. I can still make steady progress through double progression (+1 total rep/week), so it's pointless to use different rep ranges/ periodization right now.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Against Gravity wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:38 pm
Link to my training log:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... ile%2cxlsx

Weighted pull-ups PRs

Weighted ring dips PRs

Here's the new edited first post of the training log. I'll be using this as the 'scoreboard' for the weighted pull-ups and weighted ring dips PR tables.
On weighted pull-ups, I'll eventually test all the way from 1RM to max BW pull-ups. On weighted ring dips, I'll limit it to 5RM, for safety reasons, all the way to max BW ring dips.