Dan's log (2020 stability / assessment)

Brothers in arms, we share our progress and face adversity side by side. Each of us is strong. All of us are stronger.
DanW

Dan's log (2020 stability / assessment)

Post by DanW » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello everyone, I figured it couldn't hurt to start a log now, and start learning to be more clear in my progress. Since I'm not including what I used to be able to do, I'm making rapid personal bests. So right now I am using more of a theme than a rigid routine. Thinking from a recovery standpoint is very new to me. Especially since I have to make many physical and mental corrections. I'm not trying to complain I'm just trying to be honest. I'm doing circuit style programming since I like being tired strong(I hope that makes sense)

Goals
-free standing handstand
*bonus points for 1minute+
*double bonus start from L sit
-full ROM body weight squat x20ish

3 months to achieve this feels possible if I can keep my recover proactive instead of reactive. I believe I currently have enough muscle strength and ROM for this. Efficiency and connective tissue is where I'm weak.

My current safe max circuit(saving energy to hold myself together is required or I lose to much sleep)
-1leg stand w/ slightly bent knee 10sec x5, free leg in different ROMs with apposing arm counter balance or at side depending on stability
-hallow holdx10. arms at engaged at sides. legs fully extended feet pointed as low as my core / hip allows . I can get my calves to tap the floor but only rep clean at 3-5 seconds each
-body weight box squats 1-10 reps depending on pain / stability
-Plank hold 30sec - 1min(depending on the day) my right arm still feels a little lost in this position but I think my form is correct enough
-rest 10second - 2minutes

I have been able to consistently complete the circuit 3-5 times per session 3days in a row.I plan to get this to 5x5. I normally end up doing multiple reps of plank chasing a correction. My left and right muscles are out of balance. It feels very weird being stronger on the less coordinated side. Especially on the normal squat since I have been hiding a limp for nearly 17 years.

Self care
-daily core strength, intensity based on soreness
-daily stretching and massage with extra attention where needed
-trying to eat real food only
-600 mg ibuprofen in the morning
-Topical CBD as needed
-thermocycling when I shower

My main focus is just to stay in my lane and let the progression happen. I'm trying to wait till I level out a little to think further forward.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Dan's log (2020 stability / assessment)

Post by Vagabond » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:56 am

Alright man! Let's keep track of it all. 3 months seem very reasonable to me, but I guess that would depend on your pain levels.

DanW

Post by DanW » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm going into 2 days of rest now to heal and research. Specifically on atrophy. If anyone has a point in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. No joke my ankle hasn't been this passively stable in 15+ years. I think I need to stop 1 leg stands for now though. It feels like I'm regressing back to compensating since the new muscle(few days old) is getting overloaded. It served it's purpose to break into the deep tissue I forgot how to use, but now I'm scared of spider webbing my knee. I'll be looking through my motions, for my entire routine, and I'll try to get rid of the ones that I'm doing solely to impress myself. Now doesn't really seem like the right time for it.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:57 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by spider webbing your knee, but again, don't rush things. At this point, your goal should be to make your body feel better and better while increasing it's capacities.

DanW

Post by DanW » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I think the only damaged area of my knee is attached to my medial quad. By spider webbing I mean that flaw spreading into other areas. Thank you for the reminders. I love being in deep fatigue, and I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm ready to function there. I will be more disciplined.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 am

The good thing is, you can see it as a progressive test. If you still feel good, you can go a bit harder next time, and hopefully extend the range of what you can do without pain.

DanW

Post by DanW » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 am

Following advice and reflecting on last week I think I have a better circuit now. I tried it out this morning.

hallow hold - 5reps 5sec bringing legs vertical after each rep without bending knees
elevated push ups(about knee high) - 10 reps
box squats - 10 reps
plank hold - 30 seconds
wall squat - 30 seconds
1minute rest
3sets

It was hard work, but pain free during for my arm. My knee held up better then I thought it would and didn't get aggravated. I think I'll be able to do this circuit 5x this week. Does anything look foolish to anyone?

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:27 am

No, it seems reasonable! I would see if I could add something like inverted rows tho. Those are really good. Let us know how your elbow is feeling tomorrow!

DanW

Post by DanW » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Ok good. It did feel like I was missing something. I tried some inverted rows on my kitchen table, but it felt to hard on my elbow. I'll have to see what I can build with materials on hand so I can use a neutral grip. I'm thinking while I'm at it I'll try to design something that I could eventually also use for dips and full pulling.

I'm feeling a little run down from some questionable food I ate yesterday. I was still able to complete 3sets, and my elbow is feeling great! I definitely need to stay focused though. My body forgets this time last year I would put my elbow into recovery pointing at something to quickly><. I think I need to eat more also. I don't remember if i was 170lbs last week or the week before, but today I'm 161lbs. I assume some of that weight is my left side shrinking a little since I'm using my right side more and more.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue May 05, 2020 4:09 am

Hey Dan! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I got super busy and didn't check the forum for a couple of days. I imagine you are feeling better now. I'm pretty sure you losing 9 lbs can't be your left side shrinking that much in a week. Probably not enough food and some dehydration going on.

For the rows, try using some straps stuck over a closed door! You can adjust their height, brace your feet against the door, etc.