Some resources for movements and exercise setups

Let's build a solid resource everyone will benefit from by making an exhaustive list of movements and compiling information on every one of those movements.
Massimo Kokhno

Some resources for movements and exercise setups

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:07 pm

I have some plans to contribute some useful content on this forum, for now I'll give some links that contain useful info about exercise progressions or setups. Not sure if this is the correct forum section for this thread.

Overcoming Gravity charts - they contain several common bodyweight exercise progressions rated by level, each level assumes you can do 1-3 reps of that exercise or a 3 second hold if it's isometric or 6 seconds of descent if it's eccentric. Two exercises that use different muscles are rated the same level if a person that is not genetically biased towards more pushing or pulling strength takes the same amount of time to reach that level for both exercises by dedicating an equal amount of effort towards each.

Ross Enamait's site - contains many ideas for improvised training setups.

Steven Low's site - contains useful articles about bodyweight training, by the author of Overcoming Gravity.

Reddit r/bodyweightfitness wiki - has links to useful exercise progressions and posts about bodyweight training concepts and example routines.

Setups for pulling exercises and ideas for when only the floor is available - I wrote this to compile the best setups for pullups and rows that I was aware of and to include some unconventional exercises that could improve pulling strength with no equipment.

List of some of the hardest bodyweight exercises I could find - I plan to update it and reformat it, for now it can provide some ideas for advanced strength goals or inspiration.

Nordic curl setups and progressions - I wrote this because I wanted to compile all the methods to anchor the feet or to progress the exercise that I was aware of.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Some resources for movements and exercise setups

Post by Vagabond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

That's the perfect place to put it, indeed! Thanks for the excellent contribution Massimo! I'll make it a sticky.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I think existing external resources are very valuable, especially now while the forum is in its early days. Later original content for what has not been discussed elsewhere or new additions to the existing information will expand our knowledge base.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 pm

I totally agree. I actually almost made a category just for external resources, but thought a lot of it would just be included in our various existing categories.

By the way, I've been following Ross Enamait for something like 10 years, and he rocks!

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 am

This is definitely helpful. I think the Big Six progression charts / summary from Convict Conditioning could be interesting as well, specially for beginners. In fact, once this forum expands, it would be cool to have some 'badges' for CC progressions, aiming to get as close as possible to the elite standards for each 'master step',

Achievable;
- 2x50 pistol squats
- 2x6 OAC
- 2x30 hanging straight leg raises
- 2x30 stand to stand bridges

Not-so-easily-achievable, but interesting to get as close as possible to :
- 1x5 wall-assisted headstand push-ups
- 1x100 one arm diamond push-ups

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm not in disfavour of this idea! I like the idea of CC. For the badges, we'd need to think of how to evaluate the stuff that hasn't been done. Maybe we can base it off of people who do their headstand push-ups facing the wall. I can do specific CC badges if enough people seem interested!

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Ross Enamait is great, my favorite ideas from him so far are pull up handles to jam into the top of any doors that don't have weak hinges, sandbags to have very cheap adjustable weights, and furniture sliders or some cloth on smooth floors that allow to imitate some weighted exercises like leg curls and dumbbell pullovers.

The Convict Conditioning progressions are interesting because some are relatively easy (pistol squats and leg raises, and maybe stand to stand bridges because a much simpler approach is just doing them on an incline or partials with a wall behind), while feet together back to wall OAHSPU and one arm diamond pushups are something I haven't even seen for now, I'd really like to see video evidence at some point.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm

For the one arm diamond push-ups, I had them reasonably well a couples years ago. But I could only do one at a time on each side. I did manage to keep by body straight, and there was only a slight side to side rocking motion at the shoulder level as I pushed back up. I had trained for them using high-ish reps and progressively lower elevations for my hand.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm

I wish you had recorded your one arm diamond pushup and the freestanding one finger assisted one arm handstand pushup you mentioned elsewhere. I wonder how many feats of strength like this have been done around the world and never recorded, I hope we'll see even greater feats on video.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 am

Let's see if Matteo Spinazzola finally manages to keep feet close on diamond one arm push-ups. It's good to know people with very high relative strength is trying to unlock this movement and record it on video, even if it's just to finally put a label of 'possible' on it.

The interesting thing is that he's using bands to acquire this. I haven't trained much with them, but I bet they've a lot of potential to speed up progress on this kind of exercises, because they allow us to train the same movement pattern at much lower intensities. That's slightly different than using leverage progressions (like tuck -> adv. tuck -> straddle...) or different planes of elevation / declination to reduce intensity. Having a large collection of elastic bands that offer different levels of assistance would be great for this. And combining bands and external weights it's almost like the equivalent of a gravity machine: external weights increase it, elastic bands reduce it. A 'gravity machine' eliminates the biggest cons of bodyweight training vs external weights: too large gaps between progressions.

Have you tried one leg nordic curls with elastic bands assistance? I guess the set up would be too awkward, but I think It would be interesting to experience how a one leg nordic curl feels like at lower intensities.