Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

You don't access to equipment, little or no money to buy it. But it's alright. You can make better stuff for yourself anyway.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

Post by Vagabond » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Yeah, I wanted to add an adjustable wooden stop for the feet to be braced against for Nordic curls or Matrix squats. I would keep the wood all the same level, but raise and thicken the knee padding (for myself, I can only do Nordic curls if the knees are against a soft enough surface, or else my patellas move and I cannot exert force properly).

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:17 pm

I think everyone needs some padding to avoid getting the kneecaps hurt. I use a foam pad, but finding a minimal solution that would work even for one leg concentrics could be a discussion of its own.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:23 am

Yeah, that's the problem I have now. I'm thinking the best would be to use a certain thickness of soft yellow foam that is covered properly with the plasticky fabric they use for gymnastics mats. The problem is, it's expensive. Pillows might work, but you need a dense enough one. Maybe using a cushion from a couch would work for those who own a couch (I don't).

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 am

I like the inclined / declined variation idea. Have you tried doing declined dragon flags there?

Eventually you could progress it, until a standing position

Also, have you tried doing inclined one-legged GHR, but holding an elastic band behind you (for example; with elbows bent, in a hammer bicep curl top position, so that the band goes from the top of your shoulders until the anchor point located where your feet is)?

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:55 pm

I have seen people recommend an airex pad for the knees, I have a $20 imitation that works for now, in the past I used pillows but as I got stronger they became uncomfortable. I wonder how cheap we can go for efficient padding, it would be cool to have something that fits in a backpack.

I have not tried decline dragon flags on my plank but I will, and the idea of the band anchored at the feet could work too. A few months ago I was able to do a piked shoulder flag on a pole, which is similar to the full decline version dragon flags in the second video.

Today I succeded at decline Nordic curls on the 4th stair, next time I'll try on the 5th, I had 2 failed attempts where the bottom was easy but near the top I had no leverage, I solved it by pressing the toes into the stair. And then I tried one leg hinges, could help with progressing towards incline one leg curls.
Click to show or hide

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 am

Awesome, I love the decline Nordic curls! Planks are awesome, I'll make one as soon as I can. I went to buy more tools yesterday, but I'll have to wait to buy wood, because I have to carry everything by hand, the store is several kilometres away from my house, the temperatures dip well below -25°C these days and there is a thick layer of ice everywhere on the ground, rendering walking with a bunch of wood on my shoulder rather perilous.

For the decline dragon flag, I was also going to say, it really looks like a shoulder lever on a pole. I'll bet it's similar in terms of difficulty, but the head placement is probably more awkward.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Massimo Kokhno wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:55 pm
I have not tried decline dragon flags on my plank but I will, and the idea of the band anchored at the feet could work too. A few months ago I was able to do a piked shoulder flag on a pole, which is similar to the full decline version dragon flags in the second video.

Today I succeded at decline Nordic curls on the 4th stair, next time I'll try on the 5th, I had 2 failed attempts where the bottom was easy but near the top I had no leverage, I solved it by pressing the toes into the stair. And then I tried one leg hinges, could help with progressing towards incline one leg curls.
Click to show or hide
Congrats for those decline nordic curls!

The coolest thing about the band-assisted one-legged inclined GHR is that, if you manage to achieve a full rep, there's hope. I mean: you could easily use double progression and reduce the assistance of bands over time, eventually doing it without any assistance at all.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 pm

Today I have found a way to do fully inverted Nordic curls at home, by using a door anchor, a carabinier and a strap around the feet, with padding for the feet and knees. I locked the door and I doubt all door frames can support this. I needed help to get in position but by using an open hook instead of a carabinier I think I could do it alone. Also I got a decline Nordic curl on the 5th stair, highest the plank can be placed on, the top part was the hardest since there was even less leverage for the feet.
Click to show or hide
Inspired by Stefano Ravarino's stall bars+inversion boots setup. (at 9:57)
Click to show or hide
Now I could work on getting stronger so that in inverted Nordic curls I could go above parallel and pause at the top. I still haven't tested one leg band assisted Nordic curls or decline dragon flags but I will.
For Vagabond's problem with carrying the plank in freezing weather, could a friend help so that you carry it together and don't slip on the ice?

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:29 am

Haha, that door set-up is super creative!

I guess the ultimate goal would be full ROM inverted curls. Have you tried to perform the eccentric motion in the upper part of the ROM (from the top position, where I guess hams would be touching calves)? That must be the hardest part.

If double progression using partials is not enough to build up to a full ROM rep (or at least a full ROM eccentric), I bet adding extra load (weighted partial ROM inverted nordic curls) trying to maintain the same ROM (but for less reps) could be useful. Or, ultimately, self-assisted or pulley-assisted full ROM eccentrics. The latter may definitely look like too lunatic, but still, it could be effective, and thats all what matters!

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:58 am

I don't have much control over the eccentric even in the top part of my existing ROM, since I can't pause at that point, it's like doing momentum front lever rows vs the front lever touch hold against the bar. I'll test how much knee flexion I can get in the normal bent hips inverted squat, since this time I did it after already doing straight body repetitions that could have fatigued me.

Also the free hanging version on a bar could be harder, since when I had tried it my range of motion was very small. One leg on a bar with arms overhead and above horizontal is probably the ultimate bodyweight hamstring exercise, it's a long term goal.

I'm not too worried about the one leg progression being a problem, any way of increasing hamstring strength will get me closer to being able to get enough incline one leg volume to use it as the main method.