Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

You don't access to equipment, little or no money to buy it. But it's alright. You can make better stuff for yourself anyway.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

Post by Vagabond » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:37 am

Awesome! Let's see what others come up with!

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 am

For now the only idea I got from that thread is that with the edges of pipes or maybe of the plank too there is a risk of fraying if they are sharp, at least for ropes, not sure if a good strap is always sufficiently resistant, but maybe someone will come up with other improvements later.

Also I'm wondering if what I've shared of the project here and on Reddit, Youtube and Facebook constitutes a defensive publication, which would be a good thing because it would make it part of the public domain and not patentable, as far as I've understood after reading about patents.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am

I have absolutely no idea how intellectual property or patents work, in all honesty. That's completely out of my domain.

For the edges making the rope fray, you should file them round, sand them, and varnish them. It would help reduce friction quite a bit.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Alright, to be fair I just want to think about improving the setup and not about legal stuff, I barely know anything about patents aside from trying a quick research.

Another idea is that by putting some weights near where the holes are, the risk of bending a not reinforced plank during Matrix squats is reduced, but this would not work for the decline versions.

And I feel like a reinforced plank could work for weighted decline situps too, since they are a good core exercise.

As the thread continues I should modify the original post to have the new ideas compiled in the same place.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Why not just screw the board onto two 2x4s? You put on on each side running on the whole length of the board. It's going to make it way more rigid. Screws can hold a LOT of weight, so you wouldn't have to add weights at all.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:50 am

Thanks, that's a good idea, I may try it later, for now I'm only using the plank for Nordic curls and it works well.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:12 am

Cool, let us know when you modify it! I'm pretty sure the rigidity will be vastly improved.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am

I've tried incline and decline Nordic curls with the current plank, without reinforcing it I'm not sure they are sustainable but I haven't got problems yet. Here is a video:
Click to show or hide
I imagine that putting something under the middle of the plank to support it would reduce the wear on it. Also even a very inclined one leg version felt insanely hard, I failed to control the eccentric and used plenty of hip bend in the concentric. But it's a good progression according to this guy who told me I could reach his level in a few months based on my current two leg strength, here are his clips:
Click to show or hide

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

That's awesome! And yeah, your first inclined one leg NC fell pretty fast, ha ha. But you'll probably gain better control over it soon. As for the plank support... It flexes, sure. But it doesn't look that bad, either.

All in all, this is a very interesting thread and interesting tests. I'm looking forward to having more time to build my own plank, too.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks, I need more strength before being able to get enough volume with incline one leg to be able to use it as a progression.

By the way, there was this thread by a guy who tried to make a plank with better ergonomics, I think something similar could be achieved with a block or even some books under where the padding is placed, so that the knees can be elevated at the same height of the heels, resulting in a horizontal shin, and when the feet are not too close to the floor they can be dorsiflexed to get better tension and avoid putting the gastrocnemius in a weaker position, since it contributes to knee flexion too.