Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

You don't access to equipment, little or no money to buy it. But it's alright. You can make better stuff for yourself anyway.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Plank + straps for Nordic leg curls and Matrix leg extensions

Post by Vagabond » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Dude, amazing tutorial and videos! And I can't believe I wasn't subscribed to Zef's Youtube channel, this guy is a fucking beast!

But seriously, you have a lot of excellent ideas for Nordic curls. I technically have more than enough to do them, all I'm lacking is good enough padding that my kneecaps don't move, to be truthful.

Keep making tutorials, I love them!

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Thank you, I've planned more tutorials for the future.

For padding some guys feel comfortable with just some folded towels, but I'm not sure it's sustainable for sensitive kneecaps. I used to stack some pillows but over time my knees got a bit irritated, the balance pad is the only thing that keeps working. For portability I could cut it into smaller pieces but I'm hesitant. Instead I could check Aliexpress and not only Amazon and see if there are really models for $5 instead of $20, like someone claimed, then I could cut those.

It could be that the most comfortable padding has layers of different density, possibly being less dense where the kneecap rests than around it. And some people feel more comfortable if they put something harder in the area of the shin right under the kneecap.

I found that if I fit a looped strap through the holes in my plank, I get better ergonomics and the 45° decline version feels different, with the top part more doable so now I can do 2 reps. It would be cool to build up to even more decline but I'd have to put a box on the top stair or something like that. With stall bars the holes in the plank could also be used to attach it to a bar with a second strap. Until eventually you just attach yourself to the bars and get full range in the inverted Nordic curl.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:24 am

Awesome! And you could even suspend your board from the door frame, using straps to adjust the height, passing them around an object and closing the door over it.

Massimo Kokhno

Post by Massimo Kokhno » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm

You got a great idea with using a strap attached to a door anchor to regulate the incline, I might test it soon. My plank is not super robust, so I better put something like a chair underneath to distribute the pressure like the stairs would. When the incline gets high enough I'll have to find another way of attaching the feet, something that prevents them from detaching when close to upside down.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:48 am

Massimo Kokhno wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 pm
You got a great idea with using a strap attached to a door anchor to regulate the incline, I might test it soon. My plank is not super robust, so I better put something like a chair underneath to distribute the pressure like the stairs would. When the incline gets high enough I'll have to find another way of attaching the feet, something that prevents them from detaching when close to upside down.
Maybe try a belt passed through a narrow strap, so that it separates the belt in two sections for the feet. Since you can tighten the belt, you should be able to use it as ankle cuffs. Just need to make sure your strap is short enough to keep your feet close to the board.