Getting started on the forum

This place would be the inn where adventurers gather to chat and drink.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Getting started on the forum

Post by Vagabond » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm creating this post for those who have never used a forum before to learn to make good use of this one. I hope this forum will be easy enough to use, especially at a time where people are used to going mostly on a few bigger sites such as Facebook. If you are unregistered, logged out or have not posted yet, this little guide will appear at the top of the page underneath the Manifesto. If you are logged in and have posted before, you can find this guide again as a topic pinned to the top of the Community sub forum.

1. Registering

Click to show or hide
[b]  To register, click on the [i]Register[/i] link (a red arrow points to it in the example screenshot) at the top right of the page. Mobile devices in vertical mode: the link to register is a pen pad icon at the top right of the screen. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/01.jpg[/img][/Width] In order to proceed any further, you need to agree to phpBB's terms by clicking on "[i]I accept those terms[/i]" [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/02.jpg[/img][/Width] Next, fill the form. Make sure that to enter your desired username, email address and password twice. Optionally, you can choose your time zone and your nearest big city. Then make sure to fill the CAPTCHA, and then click on the [i]Submit[/i] button. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/03.jpg[/img][/Width] You get redirected to this screen: [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/04.jpg[/img][/Width] It's time to go into your mailbox to see if you received an email from the forum. Open said email, and click on the activation link. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/05.jpg[/img][/Width] Your registration should now be complete. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/06.jpg[/img][/Width] You now have to log in, using your username and password. Click on the [i]Login[/i] link on the top right of the page. This will lead you to the login page. Enter the username and password you registered with. I suggest you tick the option [i]Remember me[/i]. Then click on the [i]Login[/i] button. Mobile device users in vertical mode: the login link is an I/O icon on the top right of the page. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/07.jpg[/img][/Width] You should now be logged in, and able to start using your account. Time to customize your profile and introduce yourself. As a new member, you must create a topic in the [i]New Members[/i] section of the community sub forum. When your topic is validated, you will be able to reply to topics and create new ones.[/b]

2. Linking your account with Google or Facebook to be automatically logged in

Click to show or hide
[b] Make sure you are signed in on Google or Facebook (or both) and on the forum before starting. Click on your username on the top right of the page. A menu shows up, with the [i]User Control Panel[/i] as an option. Click on it to access your user settings. Mobile device users in vertical mode: your [i]User Control Panel[/i] can be accessed via a menu with a triple colon icon on the top left of the page. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/08.jpg[/img][/Width] Once your [i]User Control Panel[/i] shows, you'll want to access the [i]Profile[/i] tab of your options. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/09.jpg[/img][/Width] Then access [i]Manage external account associations[/i] in the menu to the left by clicking on it. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/10.jpg[/img][/Width] Once that's done, you can simply click on either [i]Link[/i] buttons corresponding to Facebook or Google and follow Facebook or Google's directions, if any. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/11.jpg[/img][/Width] Upon success you will see the [i]Link[/i] button(s) now says [i]Unlink[/i]. In this example, I linked my Facebook account to my forum account. To test the feature, you can log out and then log in, but this time, instead of entering your username and password, you can click on the Facebook or Google buttons at the bottom left of the login screen. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/12.jpg[/img][/Width][/b]

3. Setting or changing your user profile (including your avatar/profile photo)

Click to show or hide
[b] To access your user settings, click on your username on the top right of the page. A menu shows up, with the [i]User Control Panel[/i] as an option. Mobile device users in vertical mode: your [i]User Control Panel[/i] can be accessed via a menu with a triple colon icon on the top left of the page. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/08.jpg[/img][/Width] Once your [i]User Control Panel[/i] shows, the profile elements you'll want to include are location in the [i]Profile[/i] tab of your options. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/09.jpg[/img][/Width] In your [i]Profile[/i] tab, the first page of options that shows is [i]Edit profile[/i], which is the first element of the menu on the left. Here you can enter a variety of personal information should you desire to do so. Ensure to click on the [i]Submit[/i] button at the bottom of the form in order to save your changes. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/13.jpg[/img][/Width] Next stop is to upload your avatar. In the left menu, click on [i]Edit avatar[/i]. A form shows, and all you have to do, really, is to click on the [i]Choose file[/i] button and select the image file you want to use as your avatar. Accepted file types are jpg, png, gif or tiff. Your avatar should be at most 180x180 pixels, and its file size should not be more than 64KB. Once you've chosen, click on the [i]Submit[/i] button to upload it. On the same page, you also have the option to delete your avatar. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/14.jpg[/img][/Width] Other useful pages of the [i]Profile[/i] tab are accessible from the menu on the left. They include [i]Edit account settings[/i], which let you change your email address or password, and [i]Manage profile flair[/i], which is where you go to choose what badges you want to display on your profile once you've earned them. A last tab of your [i]User Control Panel[/i] that you should know of is [i]Board preferences[/i]. This tab lets you access all kinds of settings to make your forum experience better suited to your liking. You currently don't really need to dig in it, but know that it's there shall the need arise. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/15.jpg[/img][/Width] [/b]

4. Creating your first post to introduce yourself (mandatory)

Click to show or hide
[b] Now that your account is set, go back to the forum's home page. Once on the home page, scroll down to access the [i]New Members[/i] section of the [i]Community[/i] board. Simply click on [i]New Members[/i] to access that section. It is the only section where you'll be able to post at all after registering, and you will not be able to post anywhere without first creating your presentation topic. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/16.jpg[/img][/Width] To create a topic, click on one of the pencil icons either above the list of topics or below it. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/17.jpg[/img][/Width] Once the new topic page loads, give your topic a title, write about yourself (you can refer to my own introduction topic to find inspiration if you want), and when the text is good enough for you, click on the Submit button. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/18.jpg[/img][/Width] Your topic will be posted, but will be awaiting the approval of a moderator such as myself in order to avoid spam. Your topic won't show in the forum until it's approved, but once it is, you will be able to participate to the board freely. [/b]

5. Useful features to participate on the forum

Click to show or hide
[b] Some of the most useful features to read and participate to the forums are located in the [i]Quick links[/i] menu on the top left of the screen. If you click on it, you have many useful options, amongst which [i]Unread posts[/i], the quickest way to see all new posts since you last checked the forum. On mobile devices, the [i]Quick links[/i] menu is simply the three dots on the upper left corner of the screen. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/19.jpg[/img][/Width] When replying to topics, you can either use the [i]Quick reply[/i] field at the bottom of topics. Write your reply, then click on the [i]Submit[/i] button to post it, or alternatively, you can access the full editor by clicking the [i]Full Editor & Preview[/i] button. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/20.jpg[/img][/Width] The full editor has features such as [url="app.php/help/bbcode"]BB codes[/url], which are useful to format your posts or to add links or embed images or videos. [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/21.jpg[/img][/Width] Here is an example of BB codes: [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/22.jpg[/img][/Width] And here is the result: [Width=90][img]images/Legends/Tutorials/GettingStarted/23.jpg[/img][/Width] To read more about the usage of a forum such as this one, click on the [i][url="app.php/help/faq"]FAQ[/url] link[/i] on the upper left of the page. [/b]