Creating badges

Hunt those badges for progress and glory! Let the levels guide your advance towards proficiency and beyond.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Creating badges

Post by Vagabond » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 pm

Creating badges is an ongoing process. This forum covers A LOT of areas of training, and should be challenging its members in all of those areas. Earning badges is a fun extra little motivation to reach a goal, and once that goal is reached, receiving the badge reminds us that we have improved and that our training is indeed working. Wearing your badges on your profile is also a way (amongst many) for other members to recognize your abilities and it gives an indication on how much credit give your word based on your achievements.

But that process of creating badges takes considerable time and effort. Here is a list of things to do in order to create a badge:

-Create a few levels of success for each type of achievement, and relevantly categorize the badge
-Create the image itself using vectorial graphics (svg files created in Inkscape, which is an open source vectorial graphics creation software), and making a slightly different version of that image for each level of success
-Create a user group for each level of success on this forum
-Upload the images, create the badges and come up with a description for it
-List the badge on the forum so that people know it's available

As you can see, this is a time demanding process, and I would be happy if anyone wanted to help. Here are the most significant ways in which you can contribute:

-Thinking of badges with their levels of success (seriously, you just have to let me or the forum know about it. Looks simple, but it's actually really useful)
-Discussing the various badges to make sure they make as much sense as possible for everyone
-Designing the badge image itself once we agree upon the creation of a badge (set the document size to 128x128 pixels in Inkscape, and design the badge making sure nothing goes beyond the borders. Also pay attention to transparency if there are plain white parts or parts that are supposed to be transparent but actually are white)
-Coming up with fun descriptions for the badges

Vagabond
Site Admin

List of badges to create

Post by Vagabond » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Here is a list of badges to create. This very post will be kept up to date, so please keep referring here for listing and discussing the creation of badges.

Strength moves and weighted exercises

Hand balancing

-Figa (regular 10, 30, 60+ seconds. Legs together, 10, 30, 60+ seconds. Twisted, 10, 30+ seconds)
-One arm flag (diamond, 10, 30, 60+ seconds. Stag, 10, 20, 30+ seconds. Legs together, 10, 20, 30+ seconds)
-One arm press to handstand (from straddle l-sit, 1, 3, 5+ reps. Pike from l-sit, 1, 3+ reps. Straddle on floor, 1rep. Pike on floor, 1 rep)
-Crocodile (Croc press back to handstand with both hands. Lower to croc from one arm using only one arm. Croc pop. Croc one arm push-up to handstand)
-Switches (On floor, 10, 20, 30+ reps. On cane, 10, 20, 30+ reps. Half-twisting swtiches, 1, 3, 5+ reps)

Dynamic moves/acrobatics

Flexibility

Forum contribution

Awarenesss

Re: Creating badges

Post by Awarenesss » Sat May 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Here are some ideas for flexibility and mobility. Not too sure about specific sets/reps/weight/hold times.
  • Lower body:
    • Head to toe: foot on ground --> foot elevated --> standing --> H2T in front split (can progress toe to chin for each level)
    • Splits (middle/side and front): Ground --> feet elevated (no support from ground) --> oversplit (feet higher than hips) --> oversplit + weight
    • Pancake: ground (should be able to touch chest to ground at all legs angle 60-180°) --> oversplit pancake (feet elevated)
I think also Steven Low's (author of Overcoming Gravity) spreadsheet has some good ideas:

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sun May 12, 2019 2:17 am

Good idea! I'm willing to add some of those badges that are not already part of Foundations (pancake and splits are part of them) as badges that would belong to the flexibility subforum (and Mexican handstand to the hand balancing subforum).

Also, I'd need some sort of a general guideline for what levels are achievable for things like weighted dislocations in order to make a badge for it, and it needs to incorporate things like grip width and such. I think I'd rather make badges for things like "shoulder width grip stick dislocate", "hands together stick dislocate", etc, since I'm not too sure if people should compete for weight added to those exercises.

And I should definitely add badges for weighted pulls and weighted dips, that's a really solid and pretty established category of movements where we have a good idea of what is a good lift and what isn't.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Hey man, when you have time for it, how about an update about those badges?

I mean, creating very simple ones, with very simple requisites (like, just about weighted pull-ups and dips, or other basics). I find the current ones containing too many requisites at once.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have time for it at all, right now. Way too many things to do. I am all in for creating individual ones, but to levels beyond the levels in the Fundamentals. So for dips, for example, I could see having one with three plates added (60kg/135lbs), four plates added (80kg/180lbs), five plates added (100kg/225lbs), etc. The last Fundamental level is 60% bodyweight, which for a 100 kg guy would give exactly three plates. Given that most people that do more body weight stuff weight less than 100 kg, I think it would be a fair achievement (and for a 100 kg guy to do 60kg dips, well, that deserves a badge, too). The badge could be a guy in a dip position, seen from the front, with an increasing number of plates tied to his waist. I guess 6+ plates should deserve a star and be the max. Some people go beyond that, but they are very few and far between.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Vagabond wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm Unfortunately, I don't have time for it at all, right now. Way too many things to do. I am all in for creating individual ones, but to levels beyond the levels in the Fundamentals. So for dips, for example, I could see having one with three plates added (60kg/135lbs), four plates added (80kg/180lbs), five plates added (100kg/225lbs), etc. The last Fundamental level is 60% bodyweight, which for a 100 kg guy would give exactly three plates. Given that most people that do more body weight stuff weight less than 100 kg, I think it would be a fair achievement (and for a 100 kg guy to do 60kg dips, well, that deserves a badge, too). The badge could be a guy in a dip position, seen from the front, with an increasing number of plates tied to his waist. I guess 6+ plates should deserve a star and be the max. Some people go beyond that, but they are very few and far between.
It's totally comprehensible. The idea of using weighted pull-ups and weighted dips badges, showing the amount of 20kg plates for a 1RM sounds very interesting.

But right now the forum isn't that active, anyway. Doing it just for a couple users is a waste of time, honestly.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Yeah. But who knows! Sometimes I might do it just for fun! After all, the main reason I made this forum to begin with was for fun.