Vagabond's Training Log

Brothers in arms, we share our progress and face adversity side by side. Each of us is strong. All of us are stronger.
Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Vagabond's Training Log

Post by Vagabond » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm

For the mini bulk, that's what I did, technically, ha ha. I went from 157-158 lbs to 163 lbs, and let my BF go to 8.5-9%. That was too much, so I'll just keep focusing on strength and avoid getting fatter again.

And thanks! :)

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Vagabond wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Holy shit, guys! Today, I was supposed to start building up to 5x11 with 145 lbs on the Z-press, after having built to 5x6 with 165 lbs. The difference in 1RM equivalent on both lifts was something like 0.2 lbs, and I was okay with it because I thought maybe it would be hard to get back to doing more reps after doing lower reps, and wanted to leave myself some leeway. So, the plan for today was to do 11,10,10,10,10 reps, then next training, do 11,11,10,10,10. But upon my first set... It felt so easy that I did 12. The twelfth rep wasn't easy, but it wasn't horrible either. So I decided to do 12,11,11,11,11. And I'll build up to 5x12 with 145 lbs instead. It's making me really happy, and I hope I'll be able to keep up the pace, because I'm absolutely DESTROYING where I was at in December, before taking a break because I started failing. In December, I was to build to 3x11 with 145 lbs, yet I didn't manage to do more than one set of 11, and kept failing. Now, I'm nailing it, and for 5 sets! :shock: This is such a good surprise! I know it sounds like a minute difference, but it's actually a MASSIVE difference. The equivalent 1RM of my sets goes from 198 lbs to 202 lbs! If it keeps going well, it means I get to skip six (!!!) progression steps on my schedule, hopefully with no adverse effects. If done properly because necessary, those steps would have taken me about four months to complete! That's huge!

It means that instead of aiming for sets of 10 with 150 lbs as a next step, I'll be aiming for sets of 11 with 150 lbs, which will give me an equivalent 1RM of about 205 lbs... On the Z-press. As I keep going through my planned progressions, I might go up to sets of 7 with 170 lbs. I'm saying might because that's a huge difference in terms of set intensity, but I have to be flexible enough in my training mindset to accept extra gains that my body gives me when they happen, and see where I can build from there. The equivalent 1RM to doing sets of 7 with 170 lbs would be 209.6 lbs. Almost 210 lbs. This is a scary thought, but possible, I think, since there are 5 different steps I need to fight for before getting to 170x7. Those steps are:

• 5x12 with 145 lbs
  • 5x11 with 150 lbs
  • 5x10 with 155 lbs (finally?! I've been wanting this milestone for like, three years!)
  • 5x9 with 160 lbs
  • 5x8 with 165 lbs
  • 5x7 with 170 lbs

Let's see how it all unfolds in the next months. (Going to take 3-4 weeks for each step.) The reason why I think it's possible that I get away with skipping those previous steps is that those coming steps will take 4-6 months to complete, so a 6 lbs jump in equivalent 1RM is very plausible. That's great news, knowing that when I started training in my home dungeon, I was first doing 3x12 with 135 lbs on the Z-press. That's a 1RM equivalent of about 189 lbs. So if I got up to a 1RM equivalent of 209 lbs in early to mid-September, that will mean that during my training year, I will have added around 20 lbs to my overhead strength. That's not a small improvement at all. In fast, I think it would be huge.

Also, today I had good one arm handstand endurance. I did 7 rounds of 20 seconds on each hand, the first 6 of which were with legs together. Then after I completed all 7 rounds, I stayed on two hands for a bit longer, bringing my total upside down time closer to 5:20. And later, I did one minute full one arm (arm up against the body) on each side without coming down, which I hadn't done in a while, mostly because I wasn't pushing it.

2019-05-24 (Friday): Upper body pushing

-1x315 lbs Box squat warm-up
-5x4,3,3,3,3 Box squats with 280 lbs

-5x12,11,11,11,11 Z-presses with 145 lbs

-3x8,7,7 Floor presses with 225 lbs

-2x20s Front lever
Vagabond wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 am
2019-06-12 (Wednesday): Upper body pushing

-1x315 lbs Box squat warm-up
-5x5,4,4,4,4 Box squats with 280 lbs

-5x10,10,9,9,9 Z-presses with 150 lbs (I decided to move on/back to where I should be in my progression, because 12x145 didn't give me enough room to improve)

-3x8 Floor presses with 225 lbs

-2x12 Pullovers with 95 lbs

-2x20s Front levers
Vagabond wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:37 am
2019-07-20 (Saturday): Upper body pushing

I changed my training a bit again due to starting to stall in my overhead press. Here's what I did today:

-1x320 lbs Box squat warm-up
-5x4 Box squats with 285 lbs

-135x8, 145x6, 155x4, 145x8, 155x6, 165x4 Pin overhead presses (weight in lbs x reps)

-2x10 Dips with 160 lbs

-5x8s Half lay front lever

For the pin presses, I'm trying my friend Nick's suggestion of using a wave loading pattern for a while, and change it up a bit for something like maybe a pin press. So I just went for it. I also missed doing dips, so I'm starting to do them again with heavier weight but slightly shallower depth (1.5" shallower). On both pushing exercises, I use sub-maximal loads. I didn't time my rest in dips, but I limited it to 3 minutes for the presses. I'll probably keep using a 3 minutes rest period for a while for pressing, as long as it's doable, since I'm not going for a max effort. I like how much faster it goes. Like, doing my presses take less than 20 minutes now! Hopefully I can still improve that way. For those who are wondering what the progression will be like, I'll be lowering the reps and increasing the weights a little bit every week. I'll drop down to 5-3-1 reps in the next four weeks, then I'll repeat again. I'll rest more on the dips, but I'm starting with a weight and reps combination that isn't maximal, so I'll be able to keep adding reps for a while I think.
Vagabond wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:44 am
2019-11-22: Friday

-1x14+3+3+3 Overhead presses from pins with 135 lbs
Vagabond wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:46 am
2020-01-20 (Monday): Upper body pushing

-5x13,13,13,12+1,11+1 Overhead presses with 135 lbs
Vagabond wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:42 am
2020-02-03 (Monday): Pushing

-3x14 Military presses with 135 lbs. That was hard as shit. First set was good. On the 2nd set, I nearly fainted locking out the last rep, lol. I'm not kidding. I took a solid 40 min rest before doing my third set. I needed the rest. But third set was much better than the 2nd one.

I still remember the method you used for OHP before changing to pin-pressing. Did you get better results with it? I mean, did you improve OHP performance through pin-pressing + wave loading?

I guess right now your priority is handbalancing, so OHP strength is totally secondary.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 pm

OHP did become more secondary. But with pin presses, I got up to 16 reps with 135 lbs. Then later, I worked with 3 sets of standing presses for a while, and about a month ago I got 15,15,14 reps with 135, which is decent. Didn't make it to 3x15 tho. But right now I started doing highly inclined paused bench presses. I'm actually "weaker" than from standing, but I'm taking shorter rests by a lot because I'm still getting a hang of the technique, so I'm not pushing my physical limits as much. I'll stick to that for a little while, because I need to hit my physical limits and then push them, since that's what is really causing the gains I'm looking for. Today, I'm aiming to do 8 paused reps with 145 lbs, and I'm hoping I might be able to build it to 5x12 paused reps if I don't start stalling first - in which case, I'll simply change the weight.

In terms of hand balancing, it went really well for a while! I actually managed to get a bit past 9 minutes of alternating one arms once. And my one arm press did improve significantly, but I started doing more pushing strength again, so both are down now. But it's okay. Get better at one as much as possible, then get better at the other, lose a bit of gains on one, then on the next one, but over longer periods of time, both are improving and that's what matters.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Vagabond wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:54 pm
OHP did become more secondary. But with pin presses, I got up to 16 reps with 135 lbs. Then later, I worked with 3 sets of standing presses for a while, and about a month ago I got 15,15,14 reps with 135, which is decent. Didn't make it to 3x15 tho. But right now I started doing highly inclined paused bench presses. I'm actually "weaker" than from standing, but I'm taking shorter rests by a lot because I'm still getting a hang of the technique, so I'm not pushing my physical limits as much. I'll stick to that for a little while, because I need to hit my physical limits and then push them, since that's what is really causing the gains I'm looking for. Today, I'm aiming to do 8 paused reps with 145 lbs, and I'm hoping I might be able to build it to 5x12 paused reps if I don't start stalling first - in which case, I'll simply change the weight.
The idea of focusing on another exercise once most gains are exhausted seems interesting. I guess thats what Big Crhis (the guy pressing 200kg) is doing too (now focusing on log presses). Its a slightly different stimulus, affecting slightly different muscle fibers, which then may be useful for the OHP itself when coming back

What about your goal of 1.5x BW OHP, though?
Are you going to come back at it once inclined bench press gains are exhausted?

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Of course! It's all for the same purpose. Now, I'm building to 5x10 paused reps with 145 lbs, hoping to get up to 5x12 by once every couple training sessions using too heavy a load to make ti feel lighter next time I use it, then once I get 5x12, increase the load for good. I actually find it more challenging that standing at the moment, as with the angles I'm forced to use a wider grip and it's more front deltoid intensive compared to triceps intensive for my standing presses, since I normally use a grip barely wider than shoulder grip and push the bar behind my head while completing the lift with a bit of a triceps extension. Now, I don't push the bar behind my head, I push it more forward, so it works a bit differently. I'm still doing dips and regulation perfect one arm push-ups to make sure my triceps don't lag behind when I go back to standing or Z-presses.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue May 05, 2020 4:06 am

2020-05-04

I didn't write anything in my blog for a while. But it's worth noting that today, I achieved a big milestone for me. I passed the 10 minutes mark for the alternating one arm handstand. I did 15 (I think. Otherwise it was 14.) rounds of 20 seconds per arm, and I did not come down until I was well past 10 minutes. I did my first 11 rounds with legs together, then the remaining rounds in a straddle position. I'm glad, but I intend to clean it up. I need to hold it longer, and 10 minutes need to become fairly easy, and of course, my legs need to be together the whole time. But going past 10 minutes is going past 10 minutes. Pretty decent.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Impressive!

It would be really inspiring to watch a video of that milestone. Are you going to upload it any time soon?
I guess you prefer to clean it as much as possible before uploading it, but since there's always room for improvement, waiting until it's perfect might be an everlasting delay!

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:47 pm

It's been a while since last update. If you've decided to give up this project / forum, I can understand it though - it's very hard to make people participate on forums when there's massive social media alternatives.