My Introduction

Welcome to our new members. If you wonder why you can't post yet, it's because you have to come here and introduce yourself first. Don't be shy!
Shyndry

My Introduction

Post by Shyndry » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello, my name is Arnab. I'm 18 years old..Some major health and life issues made me join the calisthenics community. I'm still a beginner but I'll write a little about myself here.

I was diagnosed with Steven Johnson's Syndrome (TEN stage) when I was 9 months old. This is an incredibly rare deseas (1 in a million case) and the death rate is very high. I was in a coma for 2 months, doctors told my parents to say their goodbyes. But I made a come back, somehow. But it gave my many problems like eye disability, poor immune system etc.

I was sent to a missionary hostel for blind boys when I was 6 years old. I stayed there till I was 12. I studied in Braille. But I didn't eat much and I was extremely skinny. When I was 10 I was only 24kg. I was dangerously anorexic. Due to some personal family issues, economic issues and mental health issues I became extremely weak and skinny. I was 5'5" at the age of 15 and I was only 39kg. I attempted suicide when I was 14 due to boys bullying me in school.

I wanted to gain some weight, I had no other intentions. But I didn't have access to a gym as my parents are divorced and my mom doesn't make much money. So I was introduced to bodyweight training at the end of 2016 by YouTube. I trained on and off during 2017 and then stopped. I didn't know anything about physiology, programming, how it works etc. I just did push ups and sit ups, all bad form. I didn't work out at all in 2018 and got very weak again. Then I came across a Parkour video on YouTube and I was amazed! YouTube recommendations brought me to some street workout videos and it made me feel something that I had never felt before. I wanted to do those things, really bad! I didn't know why but it sparked a fire inside me. I started training again in June 2019. I was 44kg, 5'7".

I was not following any particular routine. But this time I was trying to learn more about this sport, physiology etc. I started taking it very seriously in October 2019. I .are my own routine and worked out everyday. Giving my everything.

There is a park near me where I train at 5 in the morning (though I'm training at home because of Corona). I'm still very weak. I'm currently 55kg. As of now, I can do 12 pull ups and 3x5 with added 15kg. 35 push ups. 20 dips and 3x10 with added 15kg. So you can see how weak I am.

This journey has been pretty hard so far but I love it. I have never loved anything more than this in my life. For the last 10 months or so, this has been on my mind almost all the time. My ultimate goals are to be really strong at weighted calisthenics (for my BW) and also do hard skills like iron cross, Maltese and similar things. I may never get it. I am limited in so many things, and I dont know what life holds for me. I don't even know if or how long I'll be able to train. But I'll try my best, as long as I can!

Thanks for reading. Good luck with your training :)

Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: My Introduction

Post by Vagabond » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Arnab, and you are very welcomed to this forum. I'm sorry it took me a few days to validate your account, but you are fully on board, now! Man, what a life! I'm really glad that you found calisthenics through Youtube, and it's fascinating to see how much it can make a difference in someone's life. That's inspiring. And I wanted to say, you aren't as weak as you think you are! Yes you are light, but 12 pull-ups, 35 push-ups and sets of dips with 15kg extra isn't bad at all!

Would you like me to make some suggestions for your training?

Against Gravity

Re: My Introduction

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Your story is the most inspiring I've ever read. Keep training hard man!