Strength work for OAH

Foundational to many intermediate and advanced movements, hand balancing quickly turn into a rabbit hole from which the only exit is mastery.
Anastasis

Strength work for OAH

Post by Anastasis » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi,

One Arm Handstand (OAH) is often mentioned a very technical Handstand line requiring coordination of different body parts. I believe - and of course I may be massively wrong - that complimentary strength work can provide great foundation for progressing towards a OAH.

What would you consider some good strength exercises for OAH?

Anastasis

ps: I believe that shoulder joint stability and quadratus lumborum strength are relevant.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Strength work for OAH

Post by Vagabond » Tue May 21, 2019 5:15 pm

I wouldn't say that the OAHS takes a ton of strength. Many girls are able to do it yet aren't able to do things like handstand push-ups. I would still recommend HSPUs for general strength tho, but not necessarily as something that helps that much with OAHS. What I'm more fond of, for OAHS, is actually a bunch of challenges: hand walking, pirouettes, climbing up and down objects on your hands, using a bunch of different props to challenge your balance, uneven handstands, obstacle courses, etc. Whatever you can think of, really. My approach tends to be that I throw challenges at my students until they are able to easily do most of anything that doesn't require one arm handstands. That builds strength that's specific enough to serve as conditioning with one arm handstands, and also helps building control in a wide range of shoulder positions and grips. Then starts the OAHS long haul work. For most people, it will be working with blocks (that should already have been part of the challenges), working on good weight shift technique (to finger assisted short holds), finger assisted one arm holds, position changes in assisted one arm holds, etc, etc. I tend to favour straight variations, with a little bit of straddle, but mostly straight.

Edit: I forgot to mention. I recommend working on press to handstand a lot for anyone who's into handstands. Like, I highly, highly recommend learning to do sets of pike presses to handstand from l-sit, and also Stalder presses to handstand if your wrists have the necessary mobility. But for strength's sake, the focus should be on the pike press from l-sit, and if the focus is indeed on strength, I recommend doing them on parallel bars in order not to have to worry about having to pass the feet through.

Anastasis

Post by Anastasis » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks a lot Jonathan,

It's all very useful information. I have fallen in the trap on following a one dimension approach to my goal : OAH and based on your response I will include variety plus address some handstand specific strength work in my program.

Your response is much appreciated.

Anastasis

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 pm

No worries, man! I hope it helps, and keep us updated on your progress!