One arm chin-up (CC1 progressions)

These moves rely on specific training and cannot be acquired without a strong enough base. A fairly easy one would be a muscle-up, an intermediate one a front lever, and an advanced one a Maltese. A legendary one would be a one arm handstand push-up.
Against Gravity

One arm chin-up (CC1 progressions)

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 pm

The purpose of this topic is twofold:

1. To introduce Convict Conditioning 1 progressions for one arm chin-ups, for those of you who didn't want to read the book or didn't know about it
2. To discuss our experiences with those progressions, for those of us who have already tried them and have some extra tips / comments to share.

Let's start with the progressions:

Against Gravity

Re: One arm chin-up (CC1 progressions)

Post by Against Gravity » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Overall, I think these progressions are solid, except maybe for step 2. The degree of decline shown in the video is too large for the progression standard required (3x30 reps). Just 45 degrees is enough - otherwise, the progression gets way harder than step 3.

Also, keep doing horizontal rows in one way or another after step 2. Training both pull-ups (vertical pull) and rows (horizontal rows) is better, because each one emphasizes different muscle groups (mostly lats vs upper back)

Having said that, regarding my experience with these progressions: I built up to step 9, but didn't use the progressions standards shown in the book, which require higher reps. I focused just on singles. A mistake, because it's a reduced leeway to force further progress, and increases stress in the joints. As a result, I eventually developed various forms of elbow tendonitis.

Then, I stopped working in OAC progressions and started to focus only in weighted pull-ups. And that's what I've been doing so far for the last 5 years. I've been playing with OAC training just to test if I can do it, but after just 1-2 weeks of training some form of tendinitis comes back. I'm accustomed to work high frequency with pull-ups, but this approach certainly doesn't work with OAC training, at least not for me.

Still, I'll keep training. I consider weighted chin-ups overall superior than OAC progressions simply because it's easier to progress, but OAC progressions is the 'naked warrior' substitute when I don't have access to weights.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Hey, I agree with you about the inverted rows. I use them on my students, myself, but usually build them to 15 reps, not 30. But I do use angles lower than 45°, specifically to give extra strength for carryover. But I did make them go straight for chin-ups or rope climbs afterwards (I worked in a circus school, so most already knew how to climb, whether they were able to do pull-ups or not), either with or without assistance. Honestly, the jack knife pull-ups are new to me, and I've only heard of them on Reddit earlier this week, but I like the idea a lot and I'm going to implement it for sure.

Against Gravity

Post by Against Gravity » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Vagabond wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:13 pm Hey, I agree with you about the inverted rows. I use them on my students, myself, but usually build them to 15 reps, not 30. But I do use angles lower than 45°, specifically to give extra strength for carryover. But I did make them go straight for chin-ups or rope climbs afterwards (I worked in a circus school, so most already knew how to climb, whether they were able to do pull-ups or not), either with or without assistance. Honestly, the jack knife pull-ups are new to me, and I've only heard of them on Reddit earlier this week, but I like the idea a lot and I'm going to implement it for sure.
Yeah, jacknife pull-ups are a great alternative to those >45deg horizontal rows. And like all progressions, external load can be a great additional tool. For example, using 'weighted jacknife pullups' (with a backpack or whatever), until it's possible to do full unassisted pull-ups. Using external load is like a middle step in each progression, if double progression (adding more reps) eventually gets too hard, and there's not enough leeway for harder progressions. Weighted jacknife pull-ups is like step 3.5; weighted chin-ups like step 6.5, etc.

And I think it's useful not only for novices, but even more for intermediate / advances athletes. I'm sure a 'weighted uneven pull-up' and a 'weighted half OAC' is very, very useful for the full unassisted OAC. The problem is people sometimes get too dogmatic about using 'bodyweight only'. But I think a better mindset is to 'use what you have, while you have it'. At least, if the main goal is to progress efficiently. Go the naked warrior approach when you're actually naked, but meanwhile, use what you have!

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Against Gravity wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:29 pm And I think it's useful not only for novices, but even more for intermediate / advances athletes. I'm sure a 'weighted uneven pull-up' and a 'weighted half OAC' is very, very useful for the full unassisted OAC. The problem is people sometimes get too dogmatic about using 'bodyweight only'. But I think a better mindset is to 'use what you have, while you have it'. At least, if the main goal is to progress efficiently. Go the naked warrior approach when you're actually naked, but meanwhile, use what you have!
Preach! I've used pretty much all those variations at one point or another (like weighted Archer pull-ups). As you say, no need to be dogmatic. And seriously... There are almost always ways to add weight to exercises. Seriously. Can't people find a few plastic bags laying around, layer them, put sand or rocks or whatever dirt they find in them, and tie them to themselves with anything resembling rope? Or hold a log between their legs? Like, for real... Way back when I had no access to gyms (from 2008 until late 2014, I made due with whatever I'd find around me. In the video below, I hung an old piece of rope I found in the garbage to a highway viaduct to have something to hang from.