Middle splits hip position

Unlock ranges of motion you thought were impossible. Bend your body to your will and learn to move unrestricted.
Close2impossible

Middle splits hip position

Post by Close2impossible » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Quick question, when performing the middle splits, should your hips be in anterior pelvic tilt, posterior pelvic tilt, or neutral?

Vagabond
Site Admin

Re: Middle splits hip position

Post by Vagabond » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 am

The demonstration position should be neutral, but while practising it you will likely have a posterior tilt because you will be facing the ground. Also, while practising, I suggest changing your pelvis position back and forth to vary the angle. One thing I find really good is to roll from a pancake position to a middle split position, back and forth.

Close2impossible

Post by Close2impossible » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:22 am

Vagabond wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 am The demonstration position should be neutral, but while practising it you will likely have a posterior tilt because you will be facing the ground. Also, while practising, I suggest changing your pelvis position back and forth to vary the angle. One thing I find really good is to roll from a pancake position to a middle split position, back and forth.
Thanks for the answer, just as I thought. Saw a youtube video where he says to be in anterior pelvic tilt and I questioned it.

Vagabond
Site Admin

Post by Vagabond » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:44 am

All in all, it doesn't matter that much, as the pelvic position depends on what it is you are trying to do. If I lean forward a lot to face the ground, my pelvis goes in a bit of a posterior tilt. If try to present it, I have to use more of an anterior pelvis tilt, but the reason for that is that I use it for my crotch to still face slightly downwards so that I can use my weight to help me keep my split flat. Otherwise, my butt slides back and my legs are not longer on a perfect line on each side. A person who would have enough flexibility to do a perfect middle split, according to gymnastics, would be able to do it with their knees completely up, legs perfectly out to the sides, and neutral hips. Anterior pelvic tilt would then make you arch your lower back, and either you would fall backwards, or your knees would go forward. So for presenting a perfect middle split, the pelvis would be in a neutral position. And to stretch it, well, it depends on the position of the rest of the body. If you were to stretch it in a wide standing position, you would have to use an anterior pelvis tilt so that it pushes your hips open in the right angle. If you are facing the ground when you do it, this doesn't really matter.